Saturday, February 14, 2009

Musings on Valentine's Day

So, it's Valentine's Day, a day dedicated to love. When I was single I dreamed of a romantic Valentine's Day. When DH and I married, we decided that we would alternate planning Valentine's Day; he would plan the even years and I would plan the odd. Some years that meant simply watching a romatic movie, or a romantic comedy, but we always tried to do "something."

Fast forward to this year. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get into it. I couldn't figure out why. The best that I could come up with is that I didn't feel I needed Hallmark to tell me that I loved DH or he loved me. Heck, after over 10 years of marriage, it should be obvious. I realized that really Valentine's Day is for single people; couples that aren't married. It's their day.

Our wedding anniversay is the day for us to celebrate our love; not some artificial thing. Mind you, I won't say no to some chocolates.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: