Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's Oscar Night in Hollywood

Well, it's that time of the year again when Hollywood hands out the hardware. As in past years, I'm going out on a limb and predicting tonight's winners in some of the major categories:

Best Picture: Avatar;
Best Animated Feature: Up
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges;
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock (even though I'm hoping Meryl Streep wins);
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz;
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique;
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow.
Best Special effects: Avatar
Best original score: Up
Best Costume Design: The Young Victoria;

I'll update this post later to see how I did, and my impressions of the show.

Edited to add:

Well, with one exception, my predicitons were bang on. I was wrong in the best picture category, as The Hurt Locker won. I haven't seen it yet, but I knew it was Avatar's biggest competitor in the best picture race. I agree with the awards that Avatar did win: special effects, cinematography and art direction. Those were its strong points. (even though, personally, I thought the art direction in Sherlock Holmes was excellent and would probably have voted for it or The Young Victoria).

I missed hearing the nominated songs being performed. I generally enjoy those. I wasn't overly impressed with the dancers performing during the performance of the nominees for best original score. I didn't feel they added anything to the music; in fact, I found them distracting. Glad to see Up win for best animated feature and score. I *loved* that movie.

Though I really enjoyed Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side, I still think that Meryl Streep was robbed. She was fantastic as Julia Child. I didn't care for Mo'nique's acceptance speech: "I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics." Um, you just DID make it political.

Best dressed list: Sandra Bullock, Cameron Diaz (surprise, surprise!), Anna Kendrick. I liked Rachel McAdams' and Kristen Stewart's dresses, but not their hair. I liked Sarah Jessica Parker's dress and hair, but not her makeup (looked like it was sprayed on). Another pleasant surprise was Jennifer Lopez.

Dresses/ensembles I didn't like: Maggie Gyllenhal, Miley Cyrus, Nicole Richie, and Charlize Theron (what *were* those things that looked like they were grabbing her breasts, cupcakes?). I didn't like all the fruff of the bottom half of Zoe Saldana's dress, either. Made her look like a Zigfeld girl.

1 comment:

mr.fibble said...

Best Picture: Avatar;
Best Actor: George Clooney
Best Actress: Carey Mulligan
Best S Actor: Christoph Waltz;
Best S Actress: Mo'nique;
Best Director: James Cameron
Best Cinematography The Hurt Locker
Best Animated Feature Film: Up
Best Costume Design: Young Victoria
Best Editing : The Hurt A prophet
Best make up: Star Trek
Best Music (Original Song):Crazy Heart
Best Music (Original Score) Up
Best Short Film (Animated)A matter of Loaf and Death
Best Sound Editing: Avatar
Sound Mixing Avatar
Visualy Effects avatar
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)Precious
Writing (Original Screenplay) the messenger



these are not who I would pick but who I think will win