Friday, March 19, 2010

Who's Afraid of The Big Bad Truth?

I remember getting warned in high school about studying the Bible outside the mainstream church. Studying it at university was bad because university was filled with arrogant intellectuals who would pick apart the Bible and try to cause people to lose their faith. And I believed it.

As I've said before, I was a mainstream christian who thought the Bible was inerrant, etc. etc. etc. until nine years ago when my faith was destroyed. In case you want to know a bit more, you can find more details on the story here.

After I'd walked away from mainstream christianity, the words from an old Amy Grant song had new meaning for me:

"All of my friends are happy to stay here in this yard day after day
But something inside me has called me away.
I don't understand but I know I can't stay...

'Cause I have felt for the first time
I can be myself
No more faces to hide behind
Just a smile and a dream that's mine
Even if I am the only one who wants to fly"

Recently, I've come to debate certain issues relating to the Bible truth with certain mainstream christians. Let's just say that these people come from a background that considers their denomination as "theology for the rest of us." In other words, the... um... not too intelligent. I'm not going to name the denomination, but it relies on a lot of "signs and wonders" there's a lot of "flash and boom" and "talking in tongues." I think you can read between the lines. When you try to point out that there are two different stories about Judas' death, two versions of the story of Jesus raising Jairus' daughter, two lists of Jesus' ancestry, they don't listen. One is told that anyone that dares to suggest such things is arrogant, deceived by logical sounding lies and that “the heart of all Biblical challenge is spiritual unbelief, not intellectual incompatibility, though the latter is often sited and held onto for dear life, ironic as that is, by those who professing themselves to be wise have become fools.”

This attitude bothers me. I consider myself a seeker, especially a seeker after truth. I want to know who Jesus is. There's a lot of details missing in the Bible about him, and I want to know as much as I possibly can. Is there anything wrong with that? I'm a very curious person and I want to know - not so I can say I'm smarter than anyone. I just want to know.

I have now come to appreciate those scholars at universities who write and teach on the subject of religious studies. One is Bart D. Ehrman, a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and was (In his own words) "a committed Bible believing christian" and was "certain that the Bible, down to its very words, had been inspired by God. Maybe that’s what drove my intense study… Surely knowing them intimately was the most important thing in life.” Does this sound like someone that's looking for contradictions, or a sincere seeker? Another is John Shelby Spong, Episcopal Bishop of Newark for many years before his retirement. Another is Elaine Pagels from Princeton University, an expert on the Dead Sea Scrolls. Ms. Pagels has seen her fair share of tragedy, losing a young son. These are NOT scary people. In fact, they sound like seekers to me. My kind of people: intelligent seekers.

These are people that have gone through the Bible meticulously and some of them have come out with things that don't quite fit with the message that's preached by mainstream christianity. Bart Ehrman has pointed out some very interesting contradictions in his book, "Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them." None of these contradictions should be dismised lightly. They should be taken seriously. One thing that deeply disturbs me is the allegation that most seminaries now teach that Paul did not write all the epistles that are attributed to him. For example, it's well known in (most) seminaries that Paul didn't write I and II Timothy. Other people wrote those letters in his name. Yet, these pastors never tell their congregations that. That sounds like fraud to me.

So, who are the arrogant ones? The ones that refuse to listen to the facts, and open their eyes because they're frightened at what they might find, or is it those who are seeking? Personally, I think it's the former. I know that know-it-all attitude, for I, too, once thought that I knew all the answers and that anything that disagreed with the Bible was wrong and couldn't stand up to scrutiny. Isn't it arrogant to think you can't learn something from someone you may not agree with?

The beginning of wisdom is to admit you don't know. That's the place I come from. I admit that there is a LOT I don't know. Like everyone else, I have some pet theories about Jesus, but I'm also open to the idea that I might be wrong on some things. Everything I read influences me. How is that arrogant? I really hate the idea of being ignorant, and I think God gave us brains for a purpose - to use them. I consider education very important. I would rather know the truth - even if it hurts and disturbs my comfortable worldview than be misled. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, who are the arrogant ones? The know-it-alls, or the seekers who aren't afraid to challenge their boundaries?

May God guide us all in our pursuit of truth.

6 comments:

mr.fibble said...

the ones most scared of following a lie will defend it the strongest

cburdick said...

Heather,
Thank you for writing things worth thinking about. I also have looked long and hard at the organized church and its relationship with truth. I think the church in the developed world has moved far from its purpose. Real Christianity does not mix well with prosperity, political power, and social pressure to be "Christian". People become "Christian" for the wrong reasons and never question what it really means. They accept doctrine in place of seeking the Living God.

cburdick said...

I still feel I have a place in church (I've found a wonderful church) but have been in many where it is difficult or impossible to find a sense of grace or spirituality or tolerance for other thinking.

Unknown said...

I know you don't mean this, but it sounds like you are calling all Christians idiots. You can believe whatever you want but this post kinda hurt. I am not an idiot for believing what I do. I have put years of studying into it and I truely believe you should figure out what you believe and not believe it just because someone told you to. I read your blog, and like I mentioned above it kinda hurts how you keep considereing christians to be stupid or not as intellectual as you are. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from saying stuff like that. I know you are intellectual but so am I and many others who are Christians are as well. Just because there are some idiots out there doesn't mean all of us are. Sorry if this comes across rude but it is a little insulting.

Heather said...

Jen,

No, I'm not calling all christians idiots. Notice that the people that I had issues with in this instance are from a "flash and boom" background. I was hoping you could read between the lines, but they are Pentecostals. My experiences with that denomination, which goes back 30 years, has been anything but good. I'm not even saying that all of them are idiots, but that emphasis on a "signs and wonders" based faith will attract *some* extremely screwed up people. Though, again, not *all* of them are screwed up.

Also note that I also said that I understood the literalistic attitude as I was once one. I have some sympathy to a certain extent and am embarressed that I was so narrow minded. It's the refusal to look at the facts that I have issues with.

For instance, look at two stories of the raising of Jairus' daughter in Mark 5:21-43 and Matthew 9:18-26. Mark says the little girl was already dead when Jairus went to Jesus for help; the other says she was still alive. Which one is right? They can't both be right. Something is definitely wrong. They can't be reconciled. If you can come up with an explanation, I wish you luck. For a lot more of these, please see Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted" that I mentioned in the post. Most scholars aren't looking for these things. They are surprised to find them - and how many there are. There are dozens - if not hundreds.

Well said, Cheryl. Too often people just buy into doctrine in place of seeking God. In regards to finding a church, Rob was just saying that it's too often mainstream christianity that decides you're not a christian - and not you. Sadly, there is very little tolerance for questions.

cburdick said...

I still call myself a Christian but am sometimes reluctant to do so. I am not ashamed of being identified with Jesus, but with some others who claim that name.